A Tale of Two Sisters

Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Weight



When Levon passed away, I was feeling the typical sad, troubled music lover. I always feel, as I do with
my passions of screen... .OK who's up next? who is going to replace this immense talent, this nuance, this person?


I used to tell Jiejie the story of how my friend Peg and I would run to the "Norwest"  theater in Detroit to see "The Last Waltz" every weekend, all performances, for the entire run.
We were two stoic catholic school eighth grade girls, sitting in an empty theater to watch The Band.
There was a teeny store on the way that would sell us cigarettes and a six of beer for a little extra money.
We would settle in and watch for hours. I think that was our first live concert.
 I did have my propensity for Eric Clapton, but we both agreed that Robbie Robertson was amazing.
Peg's brother would pick us up from the theater and we would finish the night at Peg's house  with the "Not Ready For Prime Time Players".

When Jiej and Gabe were in high school they would watch the dvd version of the movie over and over, fast forwarding, freeze framing.
Peg and I would have truly appreciated this feature(accept the lack of beer and cigarettes).
We would have totally skipped over Neil Diamond.



 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers