A Tale of Two Sisters

Monday, May 9, 2011

Animus



My next featured favorite book is new to our collection. I originally was drawn to Animus, because the little girl in the story bore such a striking resemblance to Miss Mary.

The story is written and illustrated by Seoona Hong an artist, who is also the illustrator for projects like "Power Puff Girls" and "My Life as a Teenage Robot".

The illustrations are so simple and heartfelt, I could not resist.
Ms Hong describes the story;

“Continuing to work in the narrative, "Animus" is a collection of images depicting a journey toward emotional resilience. The young girl appears again as the protagonist, while a black dog represents the antagonist. I choose children to be my storytellers because of their innocence and innate honesty.

The purity of a child's character, before it is shaped by social propriety and shaded by self-doubt, inspires me. Although "Animus" illustrates a story of growth, it is not a morality tale. Rather, it is about the response to aggression; initially a reactive one, stemming from fear and discomfort, maturing to a more hopeful and compassionate resolve.”

--Seonna Hong

Photobucket


Mary and I love how the little girl learns to solve her problem in the most innovative way.
The message of the story is powerful on all levels.
We hope that Ms Hong decides to create more books.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers