A Tale of Two Sisters

Friday, May 6, 2011

New York State Of Mind














In my latest installment of my tribute to children's books I present "Eloise", written by the sublime Kay Thompson, illustrated by Hilary Knight.

I was introduced to this book in high school. My dear friend David , had an old family copy and he was always paraphrasing and using Eloisiana(the 0fficial language).

David and I identified with Eloise even in the throws of teenage angst.The idea of behaving in a raucous manner in public places had a ton of appeal.



I then introduced JieJie to it when she was little. We would read it over and over, unfolding the extra big page with Eloise using the Plaza's elevator system for her own mayhem and "skibbling".

When JieJie was about six, I had the pleasure of spending a glamorous Plaza time in NYC with a dear friend and we brought JieJie some of the out of print Eloise books from a local book dealer.(they are now back in print,due to Eloise demand)
It was then that I made the connection that the author Kay was the same Kay Thompson who was the amazing side kick to Fred Astaire in "Funny Face" with the Divine Miss Audrey.

Kay was an author, singer, songwriter, dancer, humorist and icon maker.( Ms Liza Minnelli, recently did a tribute to her on Broadway).

Now Mary is enjoying the antics of the precocious Miss E. with her dog Weenie(a pug no less).
and her band of employees and merry makers.
We once again unfold the long page and trace the antics of Eloise maneuvering her way through the elevator system of the Plaza, much to the chagrin of the white gloved, elevator operators.

A true classic.


Kay Thompson performing in "Funny Face"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers