A Tale of Two Sisters

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I've Got The World On A String



Several weeks ago, Mary's teacher had given the class an assignment that was designed to teach the children a few different skills. The project was to introduce the children to map reading and through tallying ,some math lessons.

The project involved the children contacting people they knew and asking for post cards to be sent to the class from where ever the people were.

We got into gear and contacted friends and family and made our request for Mary's class.
Every week, I would ask Mary if she was receiving postcards. "Yes" she would casually reply"but we share them with everyone so I don't know who has sent me cards".

Last week she started bringing home her own "share" of postcards because the teacher ran out of room on the world map.

Terry and I were so touched by the response of people all of the world who thoughtfully responded to Mary.

Postcards were from all over Michigan, the U.S. ,Europe, and Asia. The cards also contained lovely personal notes to the class, with some anecdotes on the particular area they were from and how to find them on the map.

I was so amazed by her first "wave" of cards to come home, I asked Mary if she had the most in the class. Mary responded that she wasn't sure because they all went into one community pile.

I think that the best part of the project was seeing the thoughtfulness of our family and friends and their family and friends. Everyone taking the time to help a little class of kids in Huntington Woods learn about the world. The class project revealed how fortunate we all are.
I must admit, I am curious as to how many more cards will be coming home.

Mary and I are working on making a scrap book of all of the beautiful cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers