A Tale of Two Sisters

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Happy Birthday










Seven years ago today my precious Mimi was born.

On JieJie's birthday, I have had the tradition of telling her the story of the adventure of giving birth to her. I share with her, moment by moment how she came into the world.

Mimi and I have a different tradition for obvious reasons and because her coming into this world is a mystery and is just as miraculous.

Mimi and I have talked about her China mom and her strength and bravery. We talk about how Daddy and I had wished and prayed for her for so long and that it is this day that we celebrate her coming into this world.

Of course Mimi has questions about her birth that we can't answer. We do have some details that we talk about, but the most important thing is that we remember her mama in China who brought us our divine Miss Mimi. We talk about her being carried in her tummy, how she ate some of Mimi's favorite foods to keep her strong and healthy. We talk about her China family how they must be intelligent and beautiful and have giant noggins.

Mimi and I talk about the care that was taken right after she was born. Mimi's China mom put her in the safest place to make sure she would be properly cared for. We talk about the process of her adoption.I describe the paper process .I tell her about the wonderful fed ex lady who would deliver our papers to the consulate(we used to call her the stork).
I reminisce about the waiting, the hours I would spend in chat rooms, looking for advice from seasoned parents on anything from what clothes to pack for her and what kind of formula Mimi would use.
We talk about the day when we received our referral and how Aunt Julie was with Daddy when the news arrived.
We talk about the plane ride to China and how JieJie was ready to jump ship about five hours into the journey.

We talk about Daddy and JieJie climbing the Great Wall to a very high place in her honor.

We talk about the day we met and how all was right with the world as soon as I held her teensy body.

We celebrate Mimi's birth and we are so thankful for the sacrifices that her China mom made for her.
Cheers to the Fabulous Miss Mimi, a stunning, witty,intelligent young lady with long gams and a giant noggin.

2 comments:

  1. Reading this brought tears to my eyes... so much had to take place for Mimi to happen to you guys. Something many of us just take for granted. Happy birthday to Mimi and happy family to all of you!
    Love.

    ReplyDelete

Followers