A Tale of Two Sisters

Saturday, April 9, 2011

'SWonderful









As all of us in the Midwest pray for warmth and light, I begin my search for warm weather clothes for Miss Mimi.

As anyone who knows Mimi, I have spent several years in the joy of decking her out in some great clothes.
She always loved wearing the duds I picked out and all was right with the world.

Now a days, Mimi has rejected my finds and turned her eyes toward more "colorful" and "fancy", somewhat garish clothing. Gone are the darling, mod inspired A line dresses and fitted coats.


Bring in a pair of boots(handed down from her friend Annabel), that combined with leggings and t shirt,(underpants can't be seen this way).

On a typical school night, I will wander through her closet and slyly pick out an amazing frock from The Measure or mette and pair it with leggings. I casually lay it out on her bed the night before, so she can throw it on in a rush to school.

As I prepare breakfast, she descends the stairs in a black pair of leggings, a green t shirt and yes, the black boots.
I pick up Mimi from school and one of her classmates moms approaches me "Mimi used to wear such darling clothes, what's going on?" I laugh and explain Mimi's independent nature and her new found style, a mix between Cher and a Nazi officer.
The mother quickly asked if I would be selling Mimi's rejected clothes anytime soon.

A few days back I received an online update from Ses Petite Mains and my heart began to skip a beat.The clothes are timeless, made in the USA and completely sweet.I am anxious to get on the website and start placing my orders before the tiny company sells out of Mimi's size. I stop, take a deep breath and put down the Visa.

I know we all love our children, no matter what they look like. Mimi is gorgeous inside and out and it doesn't matter what she wears. I guess I wasn't ready to give up the opinion of how she dresses.

I am also thrilled that she does express her own sense of style. There is the winsome side of me that wants to dress her in what she explains as my "style".

So, as the warm weather returns and the new season of darling clothes arrive in stores and on the internet, I reminisce.
I do, draw the line at age inappropriate clothing.
Bottom line, if she is comfortable, and can hang upside down on the monkey bars with her pride intact, life is great.

I just want her to look like a seven year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers