A Tale of Two Sisters

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Royal Wedding



On April 29th, 2011
My sisters and I viewed the Royal Wedding.
I hosted a pajama party with my sisters and Mary, we were supposed to feast and toast the bride and groom.
Back in 1982, my sisters and I got up in our jammies to watch the union of Diana and Charles.
I lived in England in 1986 when Sarah and Andrew tied the knot. You could buy commemorative dishes in the local post office.

Our sisterly party began in late afternoon.
All of my sisters were invited. Aunt Mimi was not in town, she couldn't attend.

My sister Margaret let me know she was out due to the fact that the Royals were Nazi sympathizing, poor people exploiting, antiquated monarchy.

Aunt Zanne and Teresa showed up(despite the nazi thing). We had lofty ideas of baking scones with blueberries, drinking mimosa at 4:00 am and for the lack of a better term, being lofty. I also had the ingredients for making kedgeree.

I had the brilliant idea of showing "Live Aid" that evening.
To be honest, I was a bit weary of Lifetime channel royal reenactments and BBC commentary.

I proposed to my sisters that we watch this musical event, it was British, had great music, and Princess Diana and Prince Charles shook their groove thing.

We started this many disc set and were quickly reminded of live music, pure and simple, played live, and no one was covered with deli meat or had any other agenda other than performing live to raise money for African relief(which apparently, according to Margaret, all proceeds went to an African war lord).

The only crazy thing that happened, that I completely forgot about(I lived in the UK at the time).
is the Phil Collins escapade, flying on the Concorde to play in two different countries in one day.

In celebrity fund raising land of today that would have sunk like lead.

We watched all of Live Aid, renewed by the vigor of Queen, Elton John, Tom Petty, The Who, and Nick Kershaw?

We sang, giggled and reminisced.
Then I think we crashed, around 2:30 or 3:00.

I promised our friend Gabe a true English Breakfast at 4:30(kedgeree).

Aunt Zanne woke me at 4:00, I still had my running shoes on. Teresa and Zanne were not bright, but better than I.
Gabe arrived, and I requested that Zanne light the oven and put some Trader Joe's, Mcdonald's type hash browns in the oven.
That part of breakfast was as far as I got.

I was riveted, moved, completely spellbound by a beautiful day, that yes, the world can't afford and yes they are dysfunctional, but good heavens it was lovely.
Gabe never got his true English breakfast.

Gabe of course was Gabe and brought us a toasting bottle of champagne from 1982.

Mary descended the stairs with dad at 6:30, she was annoyed at this event that involved no one she knew or cared about.

Mary told us later that day, kids were late for school, watching that event that no one cares about.
God Save The Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers